Though many people are not aware of it, sepsis is one of the primary causes of death throughout the world. It affects around 27 million people each year. In its most severe form, septic shock, the mortality rate reaches 30%. For clinicians, it is critical to diagnose the infection and define the patient’s immune profile as quickly as possible.
The healthcare challenge
According to Institut Pasteur, sepsis claims the life of one person every 3 to 4 seconds throughout the world. Early diagnosis and treatment help increase the patient survival rate.
With sepsis, every minute counts. The survival rate is 60% when patients receive appropriate treatment within 2 hours after the onset of care, and it falls to 30% if treatment is given within 4 hours.
- Every year across the globe, sepsis claims more lives than breast cancer, prostate cancer and HIV/AIDS combined.
- The number of deaths from sepsis is constantly increasing, due to an aging population, invasive diagnostic techniques and the rise of antimicrobial resistance.
- Sepsis is the most common cause of death in intensive care units.
Sepsis causes one death every 3 to 4 seconds
The role of diagnostics
- Diagnostics have been clearly identified as “a major weapon” to combat this infection, according to the Global Sepsis Alliance, a non-profit organization that supports healthcare professionals in over 70 countries to improve patient outcomes. By 2020, the Global Sepsis Alliance aims for at least 60% of general and community medical centers to routinely screen for sepsis in patients with an acute infection.
Every year, bioMérieux is an official sponsor of World Sepsis Day organized by the Global Sepsis Alliance.
Sepsis is often diagnosed too late because the clinical symptoms and biological signs currently used to diagnose sepsis are also seen in other conditions: fever, increased pulse, heart rate and white blood cell count.
To address this public health challenge, bioMérieux has adopted a solution-based approach, positioning itself as a valuable partner for healthcare professionals.
Our “Sepsis Solution” offers a complete range of solutions dedicated to caring for patients at every stage of the infection. It promotes workflow optimization and allows sepsis patients’ samples to rapidly reach the laboratory and undergo analysis. “Sepsis Solution” consists of:
- Lab Consulting to minimize the time necessary for blood culture bottles to arrive at the laboratory;
- The host response test using the VIDAS® BRAHMS PCT™ immunoassay, which in 20 minutes provides an early indication of severe bacterial infection to determine the appropriate antibiotic therapy and monitor treatment efficacy;
- Blood cultures with the BACT/ALERT® range for the detection of pathogens (BACT/ALERT® and BACT/ALERT® FAN® Plus culture media as well as the BACT/ALERT® and BACT/ALERT® VIRTUO® systems);
- Traditional culture media and chromogenic culture media in the CHROMID® range;
- Molecular syndromic diagnostics with the BIOFIRE FILMARRAY® Blood Culture Identification Panel, which in just 1 hour allows the simultaneous identification of 27 pathogens as well as the most relevant antibiotic resistance genes;
- Rapid identification of pathogens using mass spectrometry with the VITEK® MS system;
- Automated identification and antibiotic susceptibility testing with the VITEK® 2 system;
- The ETEST® range, providing precise information about an antibiotic’s inhibitory concentration (indicating bacterial sensitivity to antibiotics);
- MYLA®, which provides laboratories with the ideal IT environment for immediate notification of positive blood cultures, results reporting and data exploitation.