Molecular biology is based on the detection of DNA or RNA gene sequences that are specific to a bacterium, virus, protein or cell. There are three main steps in molecular diagnostics:
- extraction of nucleic acids (genetic material) from the sample,
- amplification (or multiplication) of the number of genetic sequences,
- detection of the copies of genetic sequences following amplification.
Molecular biology tests are carried out directly on the clinical sample and results can be obtained within a few hours. They are used to:
- detect pathogens (bacteria, viruses and yeast),
- identify antibiotic resistance mechanisms,
- measure the quantity of a virus, such as HIV, present in blood,
- guide and personalize treatment decisions, such as for cancer patients,
- monitor the effectiveness of treatment,
- determine the reaction of human cells to a disease or infection.
bioMérieux's molecular biology offering covers different hospital laboratories needs:
Syndromic approach for emergency testing with FilmArray®
- Multiplex testing : syndromic approach* to critical infections for hospital laboratories in emergency situations and at the patient’s bedside.
- Rapid (results in 1 hour), accurate and user-friendly (2 minutes hands-on time).
- Lower costs, better treatment
- Allowing the right patient treatment faster
- Shorter hospital and emergency department stay
- Labor savings
- FilmArray® now has 4 IVD panels approved by the U.S. FDA and CE marked:
- Read our Press Releases:
- FilmArray® Torch is now FDA cleared with all 4 existing FilmArray® Panels and the system gets CE marked
- BioFire Diagnostics receives a de novo clearance by the FDA for the FilmArray® Meningitis/Encephalitis panel continuing its extremely favorable business momentum
- BioFire Defense, a bioMérieux company, receives fast-track authorization of FilmArray® Ebola Test
- Discover more on BioFire
Flexibility and automation for routine testing
- A comprehensive automated solution for reference or centralized labs: easyMAG® + easySTREAM™ + Life Technologies thermocyclers + ARGENE®
- Efficient modular workflow
- Easily integrated into the labs’ existing structure
- Adapted to large and flexible batches
- the bioMérieux easyMAG® sample purification platform designed to meet the most critical needs when it comes to premium quality total nucleic acid extraction.
- easySTREAM™**, a Liquid Handling System for the assay PCR set-up.
- ARGENE®, one of the most comprehensive ranges of Real-Time PCR tests for the diagnosis of infectious diseases associated with immunocompromized persons and patients with respiratory infections and meningo-encephalitis.
- Theranostics approach, also known as personalized medicine, combines:
- Companion diagnostic tests designed to select patients according to their capacity to respond to treatment.
- Targeted and personalized therapies according to patients.
- This solution offers clinicians a standardized, reproducible and clinically validated method that will allow them to take confident decisions.
- In this theranostics field, bioMérieux works with the pharmaceutical industry to develop high medical value diagnostic tests to enable decisions based on a patient’s capacity to respond to treatment, thus contributing to a more personalized approach to medicine.
- In 2013 bioMérieux launched the THxID™ BRAF kit, its novel molecular test, developed in collaboration with GSK. This companion diagnostic test provides oncologists with key information that will help them choose an appropriate treatment for the melanoma patient Press Release